We are grateful for our heritage. We appreciate the folks who dreamed, served, and sacrificed to produce the work of God that has become Calvary Bible Church.
During the late 1930’s, a group of interested Christians from the city of Kankakee contacted the Chicago Christian Business Association, with a view to establishing a church. Rev. Warren V. Lewis came to the city to talk with the people, survey the community, and hold several meetings in a rented hall.
The meetings were a success and the decision was made to rent larger quarters. The group moved to a room over a clothing store for about three months and then erected a portable tabernacle on a rented lot.
Upon completion of the tabernacle, the group, calling itself the Back to the Bible Tabernacle, and later, the Kankakee Gospel Tabernacle, formed an official fellowship in 1940. Six years later the fellowship became a membership, the rented lot was purchased, and Calvary Bible Church was officially born.
In 1954, the portable tabernacle was replaced with a small cement block building which was quickly outgrown. In 1960, the congregation moved to a new facility at 650 Fairview Avenue in Bradley. In 2002, the congregation moved again, this time to 2587 East Armour Road in Bourbonnais.
Calvary began as an affiliate of the Independent Fundamental Churches of America.
In 1984, Calvary affiliated with the Evangelical Free Churches of America.
Calvary has experienced many changes through the years in terms of pastors, members, and locations. Calvary has also been characterized by some constants as well. The church has always been Bible based, Gospel centered, Christ exalting, Spirit led, and mission minded. We appreciate the past, we are enjoying the present, and we look forward to the future.